Sunday, June 10, 2012

What is Normal, Anyway?

I just crunched some numbers.  My body fat percentage is currently 32%.  If I want to reach my UGW I will have to lose 50 pounds.  Using the (very inaccurate) assumption that I lose only fat, my body fat percentage will drop to 8%.  That’s well below what women athletes are supposed to maintain - a look I am definitely not going for.  In general, women need around 10 - 13% essential body fat, or visceral fat, to keep all those internal organs running effectively.  That’s in addition to the layer of body fat, or subcutaneous fat, which sits below the skin.  

Just to give you an idea of what’s “normal”: athletes in my age rage usually aim for 14 - 20% body fat, fit women aim for 21 - 24%, while average women range between 25 - 33%.  Anything above 34% is considered overweight and anything under 21% is considered underweight.   

Guess this means I’m going to be losing muscle.  Not such a horrible thing I suppose.  It will make me look thinner in the end.  Still, I worked damn hard for what I have.  I am not one to let things go.

7 comments:

  1. I think "normal" can differ.. who wants to be "normal" anyhow?

    I don't think you should focus so much on the %'s and stuff.. and losing muscle isn't that smart cause muscle do burn more and we all <3 that don't we?

    I think you should take it as it comes and see what you feel when you get there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, damn straight! I never did want to be normal. It's always seemed overrated.

      Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely spend some time rolling them around in my head.

      Thank you for the comment and support!

      Delete
  2. Honestly, what defines normal? Isn't everyones 'normal' different?
    It's hard to loose muscle, in my mind anyway, because it's that fine line of exercise. Too much and you get too many muscles, not enough and the weight doesn't get off fast enough!
    What kind of job do you have? It sounds like you know a lot about physiology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough. What is normal? I suppose it's different for everyone.

      I'm always worried about losing muscle since that's the first thing you body goes after when you're not ingesting enough calories.

      I work a boring, boring desk job not in any way related to health. Nutrition is just a passion. It has been ever since I was a Psych major with an emphasis in EDs.

      Delete
    2. Oh! And thank you for the comment and support!!

      Delete
  3. Normal shnormal. You will loose muscle, water etc not just fat but you've got to make sure you keep healthy. If you loose weight too quickly your heart muscles can get into trouble so slow and steady wins! Just try to not let the silly numbers run your life, I know how annoying they can get...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of wisdom. I know I should only be losing about two pounds week, but that seems so terribly slow. Argh!

      Delete

Thank you for the comment! Your input is always appreciated :)