Friday, October 25, 2013

An Awful Metamorphasis

Little plates are stacked between Terry and I.  A vertical rainbow, sloughed with panko crumbs and smears of eel sauce.   My stomach sits, comfortably full.  I ate just the right amount.  I made good food choices, pulled only the healthiest options off the conveyor belt: a fresh roll (not fried), two plates of vegetable sushi (three pieces each) and a small bowl of edamame. 

With a smile and a laugh I excuse myself. I hold my hands up, "sticky fingers" I say.  Ten steps from the table, the idea catches hold.  The bathroom is located on the far side of the restaurant.  It is a private room.  It is the perfect place to purge.

The door closes behind me, lock flipped.  With calmness and composure I wash my hands (hygiene is important), kick up the seat with my boot, lean over...

After, I check my reflection.  My eyes are a little glossy, but there are no other signs of my transgression.  I am getting better at this.  I wash my hands again, rub at the red, dimpled spot on my knuckle.  A smile in place, I walk back to the table.  The conversations envelopes me, barely a ripple as I submerge.

For two weeks I have binged and purged.  Every day.  Sometimes only once.  Sometimes ten times or more.  I learn something new every time.  Which foods work best.  The most effective methods.  How to purge in a bathroom stall.  I tell myself I can stop any time.  This is a phase that will pass.  I'm not sure if I am lying to myself.  I am alive.  I want to stop.  I feel invincible.  I am out of control. 

I am afraid.

2 comments:

  1. It's a nice thought, that illusion of control. That you can just stop whenever. Unfortunately that hasn't ever been the case with me. But you did make me hungry for sushi. Yum.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh (the part about craving sushi). Thank you for knocking me out of my self-pitying fugue.

      I think bulimia is much like addiction in the respect that we feel in control, like we can stop any time we want, but that's never the case. Sigh.

      Thank you again for the comment, Katie. It was very appreciated.

      Delete

Thank you for the comment! Your input is always appreciated :)